The Story Game is quite possibly the funnest game you will ever play in your life. It’s essentially this: Each person starts their own story, and then everybody else in the group gets to add to it until it’s done. It’s pretty simple. Here is how to play the original Story Game with friends at a game night.
In order to play the Story Game with a group of friends, you’ll need a few things:
- 3 – 8 people.
- A piece of paper for each person. (Paper without lines is the best)
- A pen or pencil for each person. (Pens are best–less resistance)
- A whole lot of creativity.
Got those things? Great! Now you can play the game.
- Each person starts their own story on their own piece of paper. It can be about whatever they darn well please. Make sure it’s about a paragraph or two. Nothing too long, and definitely nothing too short. 3 – 10 sentences is usually all you need, but take creative license.
- Once everyone is done with their story’s beginning, they pass their story to the person next to them. It can be clockwise or counterclockwise. You guys decide.
- Each person reads the story they have been given, then continues it as they see fit. Once again, write about a paragraph’s worth–enough to keep the story going.
- When done adding, each person folds back the part of the story they were given so that only the part they just wrote themselves is visible. Then they pass it to the person next to them (the same person they passed their own story to).
- Each person reads the visible part of the new story they received, then continues it as before. When done with this, they fold back what the previous person wrote, making only their own contribution visible, then pass it to the person next to them.
- Repeat step 5 until the desired story length is reached. Usually, after about 4 people have written on a story, call for everyone to write an ending to the story they currently have.
- Pass the completed stories back to their original author or to someone who did not end it. Next, be prepared to laugh until tears are shed, and let each person read aloud the story they have.
And that’s how you play the Story Game! It really is the funnest game on the planet. If you don’t believe me, try it.
It may be hard to get people to play at first–sometimes it’s like pulling teeth–but once they play the first round, they’re going to love it. Grab some tissues before starting, because people will be crying with mirth. They may even laugh their party-poopery little faces right off.
Let us know in the comments below how your Story Game experiences go. We’d love to hear about them!